It was hard
I've been working with Magento and Magento 2 for many years so I fancied my chances of passing, but still this test was testing.
Even the most proficient Magento developers will be taken aback at some of the questions which assume knowledge of the smallest details of Magento 2.
It was fast
I clicked 'go' on the test machine and the first question appeared along with a clock ticking down, and the content of question one was a small essay!
Quickly I realised you need to answer around one question per minute if you want to allow yourself time to review your answers at the end.
It required concentration
The questions are worded in such a way that you need to very carefully review exactly what they are looking for,
with almost trick questions which have a minor detail buried in the question that cause you to change your answer.
You need to study (a bit)
Dispatched event names, Store configuration locations, exact Interface names... the things that you normally find on auto-pilot during Magento development, you need to know these by heart!
Good working knowledge of Magento 2 will help you answer 50% of the questions, but that final 14% is where the details are important.
I would also recommend thoroughly reviewing the Backend Development section of the official Magento development documentation.
You need to have done some real dev
The best form of study I found was the creation of our Collect in Store extension for Magento 2,
which covered the vast majority of topics required in a practical fashion rather than just reading.
This hands-on approach is the best way to truly grok all elements of the Magento 2 framework.
- It was hard, but I'm glad it was hard to make it worthwhile.
- The questions can seem ambiguous, take time to read each carefully.
- Magento 1 developers with no Magento 2 experience will struggle (or indeed fail).
- Magento 2 developers should ensure they read and understand all of the Magento 2 devdocs.
- What is the pass mark for the Magento 2 Certified Professional Developer exam?
- The passing grade is 64%, so 39 correct answers are required out of a total 60.
- How long do I have to complete the Magento 2 Certified Professional Developer exam?
- You have 90 minutes to complete the test, 90 seconds per question.
- How much does the Magento 2 Certified Professional Developer exam cost?
- It costs around £185 (or exactly $260 USD).
- What if I fail the Magento 2 Certified Professional Developer exam?
- You can resit after 15 days (fail again and its 90 days) with a 20% off discount coupon from Magento.
- Where can I find more information about the Magento 2 Certified Professional Developer exam?
- You can probably find what you need on the Magento Certification FAQ.