If you are using a CDN it can be used to effectively invalidate your CDN cache instantly. This extension will also bust any local versions of assets your visitors may have stored in their web browser cache. The extension can be installed via Packagist with Composer, and the source code is available on GitHub.
How does it work?
After some basic Web Server configuration the URL of your assets will include a new dynamic portion, eg. http://absolutecommerce.co.uk/static/version12345/some-stylesheet.css.
Improvements over Magento 2 native 'Sign Static Files'
Magento 2 already has some functionality to bust cache for static files with the 'Sign Static Files' setting. The Absolute CacheBust extension provides this same functionality and more:
- Absolute CacheBust supports media cache busting, whereas the native functionality does not.
- the version value is stored in the Database rather than file, so better support for multiple servers.
- with Absolute CacheBust the URL Template can be changed from /version12345/ to something else.
- native Magento forces developer mode to always serve fresh content, which is not desirable.
- CLI commands are included with Absolute CacheBust for automated deployment cache busting.