GeoIP for Magento 1
Add Geo IP redirect functionality with an easily themeable pop up. Direct customers to relevant currency, store view or both. Allows configuration of different redirect mappings for any country.
- Geo IP redirect functionality with themeable pop up
- Direct customers to relevant currency, store view or both
- Configure different redirect mappings for any country
- Redirect keeps customer on same URL they arrived on
- Test IP parameter to emulate behaviour for any IP address
- Mobile friendly front-end driven geo IP implementation
- API driven, no IP lookup files to be kept up to date
- Magento 1.5
- Magento 1.6 / 1.6.1 / 184.108.40.206
- Magento 1.7
- Magento 1.8 / 1.8.1
- Magento 1.9 / 1.9.1 / 1.9.2 / 1.9.3
- For Magento 2, please get in touch.
How does it work?
On loading any page of the site, a check will be made to see if the user has the named cookie set. If the cookie is already set, then nothing will happen. The customer has already been given the choice to switch currency and has made their decision.
If the cookie is not present, then a geo IP lookup will be made. A request will be sent to http://ip2c.org to retrieve the location of the user based on their IP address. The result of this is matched against the redirect mapping configuration as follows:
- If there is no mapping for the country selected, then nothing will happen.
- If there is a mapping for the country but the customer is already on the correct currency/store, then the cookie will be set for that currency and nothing else will happen.
If there is a mapping for the country and the customer is not already on the correct currency/store, then a popup will be displayed:
- The popup gives the customer the option to continue as they were to the default currency/store OR redirect to the suggested currency/store as per the redirect mapping for the country they are visiting from.
- Choosing to stay on the current currency will set the cookie and close the popup.
- Choosing to go to the suggested currency/store will reload the page taking the user to the correct currency/store. Also the cookie will be set to prevent the pop up showing again. Once the above has taken place the user will not see the popup again as they have the cookie set.
You can load any URL on your site with a parameter ?geoip_override=aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd and the module will show you exactly what the customer would see if they arrived from that IP address.
We're here to help!
As always if you need some assistance or would like us to do this for you, please please get in touch.